Friday, March 4, 2011

Weak Week

Living in a post marathon world is a strange new time. It's quiet out here on the cusp of frontier land, held up in a ramshackle shack waiting for the limbo dust storm to blow past, all the while being slightly parched from the lack of running injury & fatigue has imposed on me. Hal Higdon calls this Zero Week in his recovery schedule, and running is a tenuous venture at this point. The flare of the 42km (26.2m) festival has faded like a setting sun in a land fully renowned for the rising of it. Gone are the pre-race jitters and the alluring mystery that, in hindsight, just flooded over the the whole spirit of the marathon like a tsunami of excitation: Ah, how to keep those Good Vibrations a happening?


Runner's Delight: Swag at the Expo

Welcome to Japandyland

Subway Showdown: 2 days to go...

So it goes...



I got the tires on a borrowed broken bike fixed just the day before, and craved any kind of extended period of motion I could put my body through. I slipped on my running shoes before leaving the house just incase the mood struck me like the venomous fangs of a coiled cobra hiding in the brush, which I was more than sure it was going to do. Everything felt fine on the bike. It's no road bike mind you; it's a 3 speed cruiser with a rusty basket & bell, but it still gets the general message of cycling across to my legs, so I'll settle for now. I headed towards Kasai Renkai Koen, which I knew would put me in a position of travelling about 8 miles round trip on the yet to be named bicycle. The park was a fine bit of exploring for a somewhat chilly winded day. I tried to find a shortcut for the way home but ended up looping back around into a cut-off section of the park that led to a nice seaside view with palmtrees and all. When I finally righted myself, I probably added another 2km to the overall trip, but it was worth it. Except the area I had wandered into was a bit off road, and was set up as birdwatching grounds, so the bell on my bike was haplessly jingling away as I bumped over the uneven terrain, all the while dodging glowering looks of scorn from the amateur photographers with professional looking cameras craning there heads at the calamity approaching. Don't worry folks, I've done America proud with my shenanigans, or at least I haven't sullied our name further, since, for whatever reason they believe me when I tell them, people tend to think I'm British, or Canadian.

The itch needed to be scratched, so I parked my bike on the high banks of a river overlooking the ominous attractions of Tokyo Disney, and started running. I didn't get far, and I didn't get far fast, that's for sure, at about half a kilometer my left knee was aching with the ITBS pain, not full on, but it was present enough to scare the bejesus out of the wary mind that was attached at the brainstem to my fragile body parts below. I held on for a bit, risking the full return of the injury, but I was curious, so I needed to keep going...I made it about 1km at most before returning to my bike. I stretched a bit along the windy highlands, and went back to peddling. Immediately two things were stacked up against me at this point, well three if you want to consider I was about 4 miles away from home: 1) my legs, though overall OK up until my run, felt fatigued and achy, with the sharp ITBS pain lurking behind every bend. 2) the wind that had been at my back on the way over to kasai renkai park, was now howling into my face as if the hand of mother nature herself was intent on pushing backwards into the きゅうえどがわ (Ex-Edogawa) waters that lay leisurely lapping beneath the towering trail my tires were upon. Getting home had just become more of a chore.

I wouldn't say I worked up a sweat from a jog that probably seemed to onlookers as if someone was watching Without Limits in slow-motion, but maybe it was enough to tire me out in the face of such strong winds. The nip-o-meter was diving into the negative celsius spectrum, and home was, ever so slowly, slowly approaching...I crossed the river hoping that the exposure to extra sunlight would help generate energy akin to photosynthesis as I peddled along; I subsist on a diet of mostly vegetables after all, my skin should have made this genetic leap long ago. On the way, I passed something I had given up on ever finding again on the fair streets of Tokyo: A beer vending machine! The last time I had been in Tokyo was about 6 years ago, and I was fascinated by the fact that vending machines were so prevalent, and held a treasure-trove of such varied goods to vend, so much so, that if you could think it, somebody probably already found a way to put it in one somewhere. Though, over the course of 6 years they had phased these beer machines out, I guess finally coming to the conclusion that teenagers don't necessarily respect the authority of a sticker telling them they have to be 20 years old to drink while the steady blinking light next to the coin slot awaits their change. I made note of the location, and plan go back for a photo-op soon enough.

When I made it home, my legs were fatigued, and my knee was mildly irritated by the days exertion. Higdon warned about pushing too much this week, that's part of what gives it the charming name of Zero week, because you're literally supposed to do next to no running. The body is considerably damaged in a long distance run, most notably, after a marathon. Muscles & ligaments really need to heal, and rest is the best way that happens. I guess Zero week is coming to terms with your limitations after a big race, and reconciling the good standing relationship you once shared with your legs. It took about 3 days since the marathon for my knees to begin to forgive me for what I put them through. I'm sure we'll be back on good terms in no time, but I was in a bit of pain there for a spell. It still hurts my knee to stand up from a sitting position, or even to sit down actually. Steps are cruel too, though down is worse than up. Today was a tell-tale terrifying warning sign that too much too soon could break that fragile mending process I'm currently in. I went into a stretch + ice + ofuro routine after the ride/run and this morning I'm feeling fine, but I'm not going to run today...today is a rest day.



No comments:

Post a Comment