Friday, July 22, 2011

From Dusk Till Dawn

Week 4 of Intermediate training has me feeling pretty optimistic about the way things are going. Of course, what has been demanded of me up until this point hasn't strayed too far outside of my comfort zone. I missed the first week, and week 3 was already a taper week, so it's only with this current week that things start to become more challenging. By week's end I'll have run an overall 7 miles more than the previous week; most of which can be attributed solely to Sunday's 11 mile run, which indeed, will be the first LSD on the schedule to break into the double digits.

This being my second tango with marathon training, I'm somewhat familiar with what steps are expected of me out on the dance floor. The one and only problem that I've had this time around is combating the East Coast's excessive heat index, which has made the days hotter than a Haitian humidor*. I'm certainly not alone in suffering through the air akin to an inferno, but I may be the only person in good old O-town with a training schedules that requires dedicating so many egregious miles to the molten lava-like landscape. It's an old adage that, "if you can't stand the heat then get the hell out of the kitchen", but what if the kitchen is your entire neighborhood, and it stays open from dawn till dusk?

Of course the simplest answer is to embrace vampiric habits of nocturnal activity, thereby avoiding the taxing trauma of soaking in the direct rays of the sun at all costs, but this solution of late night/early morning running is not without its detractions. Mainly, if you adhere to a routine of running on the rim of darkness, I've found that either method tends to interfere with, among other things, basic recovery/fueling options.

The conundrum: when to run & what to eat?


1) Running at night. After a swift soirée around the block, I usually want to eat something substantial & nutritious to replenish my muscles, especially after the longer runs, which will leave me with a bothersome belly full of food before bedtime. Obviously this is not an ideal scenario, but almost reflexively, the "meals" I crave after a nighttime workout tend to be a better variety of light items compared to what I would eat after a daytime run. Bananas are a staple no matter what time of day, but fruits in general are key here. It's almost a certainty that if it's past 10pm, I'll steer clear of starchy or heavy foods of any kind, and instead settle for the simpler side of sustenance.

2) Running at dawn. Since it's summer, dawn is sometime near 5am around these parts, so if I'm looking at double digit LSD's peaking over the horizon, I'll be putting 2+ hours into a run with a steadily increasing presence from the sun. Waking & running means any pre-run foods have to be quick, basic, and in small portions. If it's a short run (less than 10-K), I don't even bother with any pre-run foods at all. Regardless, hydration remains top priority, so water, coconut water, or orange juice are each comfortable choices. Afterwards though, that's where the Breakfast of Champions comes into play, in the form of green smoothies, nuts, and fruits galore! A brown rice protein shake with chia seeds & an almond milk base is usually an ideal compliment to that post-run banana.

Maybe it's just the Mister Rogers' Neighbor aspect of my surroundings, but I've noticed there's more of a community built into the A.M. hours compared to the post meridiem time slot. I see way more friendly faces wishing you "Good morning" as they trot by running, pushing baby strollers, or simply shuffling out to grab the newspaper. There's also the in-game fun of trying to catch the headlines of the morning papers that are strewn about the lawns along the way.

Finally, congratulations are also in order for Japan's women's soccer team winning the world cup. Well played ladies (on both sides)! ワールドカップ優勝おめでとう、なでしこジャパン!



Footnotes:


*Which, for optimum efficiency, it is advised to keep at a consistent temperature ranging between 68°-75°F. Alliteration aside, unless the education system has failed me completely, the 102° fahrenheit height of the heatwave is hotter than this, comfortable by comparison, recommended range, thereby remaining a relevant reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment