Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blitzkreig Bop!

So it goes…this story starts with me being selected to participate in the Tokyo Marathon 2011 on February 27th. Amidst the initial feelings of exhilaration and, conversely, acute apprehension, I have roughly 125 days to convince myself that, OK, sure, human beings are capable of running 26.2 miles, and being human therefore means I, too, as well, can possibly, tap into this potential. If all goes well, come February, I'll be fording through the pedestrian flooded streets of Tokyo by the combined merit of my mind and feet alone. 


As you will learn, through the random twists & turns unfolding throughout this story, I've been vegan for half my life, a runner for a little over a year, and a marathoner never. The Tokyo Marathon will be the catalyst in a series of life events 2011 has hiding in the shadows of an ill lit decrepit back alley waiting to attack me with duel-fisted argyle dress socks, filled with nickels, swirling above its head like the blades of dust laden ceiling fans. And I'm allergic to dust! Duck and cover might work in this scenario, but who knows. Mainly the philosophy that I'm going to uphold for race day is: start running, and keep running until the finish line is behind me. Seems as reasonable as running 26.2 miles can be…I suppose. Along the way, I'll be using the Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon training program. So here we are…day one…Hey ho, let's go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment