Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Long Haul

I know it's going to sound slightly masochistic, but I've been looking forward to my long run all week. Since starting the Hal Higdon schedule, I've actually whittled down the milage per week I have grown accustomed to, and in an illogically backwards chain of events, I feel like I've had more difficulty getting through the new routine, despite the drop in distance. So with the approach of today's 6 miles on the horizon, I see an opportunity to return to my comfort zone once again: the long slow distance (LSD). Why is this the case? I have a few theories: 

1) Running Fasterer—subconsciously, I've cranked the volume to 11 compensating for the knowing lack of length in my jaunts through the streets of O-town. Therefore, I'm burning myself out early on by hitting the hilly course too hard. 

2) Another day/Another dollar—While it's true I'm running less miles per week, this new routine has effectively added another day to my schedule. Before, I was running 5 miles 2 (or 3) days a week, Tuesday & Thursday (with optional Saturdays). On Sundays, I would run a long slow distance (LSD) of about 8-10 miles. But here in Higdon country, I no longer have the luxury of that rest day in the middle of the week. So when Thursday rolled around this week, I was aching straight out of the gate. I should also note that my run on Wednesday was late in the evening, with my Thursday run early in the morning. Recovery time, and nutritional replenishment was in short supply. 

3) Where Is My Mind?The week prior to commencing this marathon training endeavor I was pretty excited to get things underway. The program starts on a Monday, and Monday happened to be a rest day. I'm a big fan of any new routine that begins with me having to do nothing. Instant success! Now, Monday leads to Tuesday, as so often is the case, and I feel like I psyched myself out about the importance of this first run. It shouldn't have mattered that much, but it was a big deal, since in 125 days from the moment I took that first step, I would be doing this thing for real, where it counted most, surrounded by a whole hell of a lot of other people trying to get through this same thing alive

We'll see how week two goes. Despite the weather growing increasingly bitter cold, I remain optimistic. 

2 comments:

  1. What's the course you're running through Oreland? Bruce to Paper Mill? You could reduce the hilliness by going down Lorraine, taking Church to Sunnybrook, then heading down Bethlehem. At that point, the old railroad tracks in Flourtown can be used to cut across to Haws Lane, or you could just turn around at some midpoint out there. Either way, you'll pretty much have no hills in the course.

    Not sure if it's typical, but I always try to go faster on shorter runs. I'll typically try to do 15-30 seconds per mile faster on short runs. In fact, my tentative goal is to get my easy mile pace down into the 7s, and I'll need to push the pace to gradually do that.

    That first day of rest was definitely great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My course varies according to milage or just interest. I tend to Google map new variations so I know the distance by heart ahead of time. As you know, O-town is sandwiched between two golf courses, which are both hilly, so on my LSD runs, I end up pretty much wrapping around both of them like wax paper at the deli counter. Haws lane is hilly too. I usually try to avoid crossing Church, because I don't want to have to wait for the traffic to clear. I hate being pulled out of the groove of running for such inanities.

    Though when this program starts putting us into the double digits twice a week, I'll definitely need to expand my course boundaries, lest I go insane from the repetition. It's also good to change things up so your muscles don't lock into a routine and plateau. Hmm...maybe this topic should work as a post rather than a side comment? haha.

    ReplyDelete