Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nearly Triathletic

I had given up on the day. The snow defeated me. In order to avoid potential catastrophe, I spent the morning shoveling snow off my Grandma's roof so it wouldn't collapse under the additional weight of the inauspicious snowstorm predicted for Tuesday. I hate the snow so very much this winter. I used to be charmed by its romantic allure, but no more. I'm terrified of heights, very much so, so standing on an icy rooftop flinging heavy mounds of snow over the edge made me nervous at first, but I was comforted by two realizations: 1) I used to climb onto that same roof as a kid to get in through the window whenever I was locked out. 2) there was enough snow on the ground that if I did fall off, I would most likely be fine having a nice pillow of whiteness to soften the drop. This, I acquiesced, was going to be my cross training for the day, and I would just push the 14 miler off until tomorrow (Sunday) in hopes that fitness under consent of the sun king would be granted to me by way of clear roads tomorrow afternoon.

I was napping like a narcoleptic when the phone rang. It was my cousin asking if I wanted to come with her to the gym she had just became a member of; she had a free pass for me and thought I'd like to give it a go. What perfect timing! I snapped into a state of tiger-like readiness and grabbed whatever running gear was available and stuffed it in a backpack, then paced passed the window precariously perched to pounce at the opportunity which had presented itself to me as I waited for her to pick me up. 

I arrived at the gym with drifting thoughts of taking it light & easy. Maybe a little cycling and some slow jogging, just so I could give my body some motion. I started with a half hour on the spinner bike: 11.5 miles in a half hour. I wasn't pushing it, but my legs still felt hefty & thoroughly used once I was done. I was slightly bummed that the TV function wasn't working on my screen, but I survived, though ever so slightly less entertained. My next choice was between running on a treadmill or the quarter mile track on the second floor that overlooked the various sections of the facility. I like treadmills and all just fine, they're wonderful inventions, really, but something in me is inherently drawn to the oh naturale aspect of putting my legs to use on an honest to goodness track. Again, I was planning on just taking it easy and maybe doing 5k at most...but the floor itself was so comfortable & my legs felt nice and loose from the brisk cycling I had just done that I kept going. I got to 7 miles and thought maybe I could do 10...I got to 10 and knew I was doing the entire 14. I finished and stretched, then just kept walking another mile and a half or so while waiting for my cousin & her 3 year old son to finish up at the pool. I could wave to them as I passed by on the outside loop, and could see he was having a blast himself going down the frog shaped water slide in the kiddie pool.

After tonight I am thoroughly aware what I've been missing through all this egregious winter training: a gym membership. It's too late now, with only 2 weeks left in the country, but if I get the chance to do the Tokyo marathon again next year, indoor tracks at the gym on inclement days are the way to go. I've never been more excited that I could breath easily; my legs felt so great that I barely noticed the 14 miles I moved them through after cycling. Tonight also gave me a small clairvoyant window to peak into the future of what things might look like come time for vegan triathlete training. If I had more time I might have hit the pool for a few laps too. As it is, I ended the day nearly triathletic, but exuberant all the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment