Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Return of the Running Dead

What little credence I gave to the fast running zombies that have invaded the horror genre these past few years has been completely debunked by today's run. There's no way a recently deceased body could reanimate and hit the ground running. This I've gathered from the amassed empirical evidence of maintaining a near catatonic state for the past 72 hours and then deciding to run 4 miles today. Now granted, I'm not exactly sure how the metabolism would react to the cannibalistic dietary leanings of the walking dead, so maybe there's something there that really fires up the adrenal glands and shifts the muscular system into high gear, but I'm vegan, so I'd rather not find out. And what does all this mean on a vegan level? I've been craving veggies like mad, but I've been skeptical about consuming anything that presents itself as being more than unleavened bread. But I'll get back into the routine soon enough I'm sure.

When all was said and done my 4 miles was accomplished with an average of 9:18 min. per mile. Which I suppose isn't terrible, but it felt like I was moving an average of 15 min. per mile. Weather & body permitting, I'm either going to go forward with the 9 miler tomorrow, or replace it with the 5 miles that would have been meant for tomorrow's run anyway. Most likely I'm going to stick with the lesser, because I can already feel the tightness on the outside of my knees (that's right plural!), suggesting going from bed rest to street bandit at the drop of a hat has aggravated the ITBS beast again. One day, maybe when I'm older and much wiser, I'll learn that if you throw rocks into the lair of sleeping dragons, they tend to wake up angry and give chase. Don the chainmail kids, the race is a coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment