Thursday, January 27, 2011

So Tired of Snow...

The view from my window sill is a sad one. This winter training schedule has been plagued by a barrage of unprecedented snowstorms, the most recent two (that's right, two! back to back, with only a few paltry hours to separate their accumulation) have been dubbed Thundersnow '11. Mother nature has officially gone one louder. Yep, last night there was lightning adorning the constant stream of sleet & snow filled skies. How is one supposed to run when there are no streets to run on?   


Dreary Old Wednesday

In all honesty, Wednesday wasn't so bad. I made use of my aunt's treadmill for 9 miles while listening to the ever evolving awesomeness of the Vegan Marathon Runner playlist. I've pierced the lid on the 3 hour mark for that bad boy, and it is pure agave nectar sweetness. I came home and, even though I knew I shouldn't have, threw in some lifting exercises with my stretching. Nothing too challenging, but you know, enough that I felt like I had done them properly. 



Thundersnow'd Thursday


Moving on up, Thursday, I wake to find more snow than I had even anticipated, and I was anticipating a lot! My arms ached slightly at the sight, but there's little choice but to sac up and take it shovel by shovel full, and move it, ever so slightly out of the way. There's really no place to put any of it anymore, so you just start making high reaching mountains that just crumble back to where you moved it from to begin with: it's like Sisyphus. What I thought would take no more than an hour ended up being a 2 and a half hour thankless chore. I could barely lift my arms by the time I was done. My knees were killing me from the repetitive crouching tiger hidden dragon scoop method I was furiously applying to clearing the way. I had planned to run 5 miles at my aunt's house again, but lost all potential kinetic energy to the outdoor elements. I was beat. I still might try to squeeze in a run later in the evening (on the treadmill), but I'm not sure I want to push it. Judging by the sheer amount of accumulation, the forecasts calling for more weekend snowfall, and the fact that the township no longer seems to bother plowing the side streets anymore, I'm going to safely say that Saturday's 14 miler is most likely not happening. But I remain hopeful, that possibly, Sunday will be more promising. 

[UPDATE]
I did in fact muster up the energy to attack the 5 miles late in the evening on the treadmill. Though I started out pretty beat, I eased into a comfortable groove and ended the run feeling reinvigorated. This certainly doesn't excuse old man winter from being a cantankerous li'l son of a biddy, but I'm jazzed that I got my run in for the day. Hooray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment