Monday, January 24, 2011

Rhythm Method: The Clash "I'm Not Down"

The Clash: dare I venture to say they occupy the strata of rarified air that only favorite bands can ascend to, and continuously deliver on their placement there. Yes, London Calling is a perfect album. This song, I'm Not Down, is just one example of that perfection. I could easily point you towards others, such as Spanish Bombs and Death or Glory, but my whole hearted recommendation would be to just let the whole album envelope you on a single listen.  Find your own place within these songs and from there on out enjoy the perpetual rewards of repeated listens.

Joe Strummer left the world too soon, that's for sure, but in the wake of the passing vessel of his life's work, there's a whole heck of a lotta goodness. I should probably also mention that in 1982 he ran the Paris Marathon, to completion, on a whim. It was during a prolonged disappearing act towards the end of the Clash's existence. Details of his performance are spotty at best, but it is often implied that he placed somewhere near last. Still, he finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment