Sunday, November 7, 2010

10-K race as a hard training run

Tokyo, Week 2, Day 7; 6.2 miles, 8:33/mile.

As today's a day off, I'll write about my race yesterday.

I ran a 10-K race along the Ara River. My goal wasn't to go out and kill it like a race I'm well prepared for; I wanted to just get out there at a kind of hard pace that I could hold up for the entire race. And, judging by the fact that today is the first day I've been sore since I started training, I must have succeeded in that.

I'm still not completely sure what I ran. First, my Nike+ iPod told me I reached the 5-K point a while after I reached the midpoint of the out-and-back run, meaning one of them was off. I think I might try to calibrate my Nike+ sensor on a track during the Namban Rengo's Wednesday night interval workout. Second, when I finished the race, I was too focused on getting a drink to bother to pay attention to my time, which I would have had to get off of the paper on to which they had noted it down. So that left me pretty much in the dark as to what I actually ran.

Still, the Nike+ iPod had my pace at something sub-8:00/mile for the first half and going as low as maybe 8:30/mile for the second half. I'd venture that I averaged about 8:15/mile, which would make put me at something over 50 minutes for the race. I hope they post the results soon so I can see how I really did. Update: The results have been posted here in the comments. My results were a little slower than I thought: 51:24, or about 8:33/mile.

Oh, and the women's race was won by the only other vegan in the group (go Meg!).

After the race, most of the participants went to a Japanese bath house. A nice dip in a Japanese bath after a race sure makes your legs hurt a lot less. I spent most of my time in the rotenburo, or outside bath, which is, as you might guess, outside. It was just cold enough to give you a nice chill when you got out of the hot water.

Then it was back to the river for the post-race barbeque, kids race and awards ceremony. In addition to us two vegans, there were a number of vegetarians with whom we set up a little vegetarian powwow. There was plenty of vegan food to go around; there was salsa, tortilla chips, potato chips, salad, and veggie skewers. Another vegetarian brought some tofu to cook up on the barbeque while I brought hummus, pita, and baby carrots. After eating some of all of that, I was pretty much completely stuffed.

All in all, a fun day and a decent run for just two weeks of training. That said, here's looking forward to lots of improvement...

1 comment:

  1. Otsukaresama Vincent. You can find your results on the Namban forum - Vincent 51:24:00 Good job!
    I find the Nike plus never gave me proper calculations as well. It always gives me more mileage then the original. Let me know how accurate it becomes after you recalibrate it at the track.

    ReplyDelete