Monday, November 15, 2010

Faux Hamstring Sting

The LSD on Saturday was a 5 mile breeze, marking the end of the first tapper week in the training schedule, which I was very much grateful for. True to form, I took it extremely easy and slow; it's not called long slow distance just for clever lysergic acid diethylamide and Cary Grant references. But something is going on in my left leg that has me slightly terrified. The ITBS is no longer in my knee, but now has crawled up my leg like a Darwin's bark spider spinning webs tougher than kevlar around my tendons; my hamstring is strung up tighter than suspension bridge cables spanning the golden gate, and no amount of stretching seems to be completely doing the trick to fully alleviate the problem.

I skipped cross training again this Sunday because of the leg problems. I'm hoping padding the gap between week 3 and week 4 with this extra rest day will do better in the end than the hour of cross training would have accomplished. Though I am considering implementing the MICE (Movement Ice Compression Elevation) over RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) therapy recommended by Debbie Pitchford. Mobility combined with proper stretching seems to help with blood flow and flexibility, both of which aide in recovery. This seems a sensible argument. We'll see how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. I never even knew there was a MICE vs. RICE debate, but I guess I am something of a proponent of MICE. I've always thought moving around - like when you've got an injury that would prevent normal training but not light jogging - made things get back to normal faster, but that's really just a result of my trial-and-error anecdotal experience.

    ReplyDelete